Sunday, January 3, 2016

A New Year

Well, it's here again. January. I used to love January, because this is the month of my birthday. Now I kinda dislike it- for the same reason. I feel like it's the month of let-downs, as all the pretty lights and decorations go into hiding, and all we are left with is a drab, cold landscape with no real hope of warmer weather in the horizon.

Image result for i hate january

January is also the month of the dreaded New Year Resolution.
 Sigh...
You know the drill- I'm gonna quit smoking, start working out every day, stop cussing, call my mom every Thursday night, and stop buying $5 coffees every morning.

And for some people, these resolutions come true. But for many, New Year's Resolutions are just another way for us to wind up feeling bad about ourselves. And isn't that defeating the purpose?
Image result for new years resolution


A few years ago, I changed the way I thought about the promises to do or not-to-do something. I chose things that I actually felt confident about achieving, and made sure that they were positive goals with some wiggle room. Like instead of cutting sugar out of my diet (ha right...), I stopped buying groceries that contain high fructose corn syrup:
Image result for high fructose corn syrup
It took awhile to figure out what brands to switch to (OMG it's in EVERYTHING), but three years later I do it without thinking and it hasn't changed how much I spend at the grocery. Even my husband and the 12-year old are trained to look at labels now! Win!

I also try every year to do something for planet Earth. That's how I started gardening- which can mean something as small as a tomato plant in a pot. Last year I built a compost bin and three rain barrels.

And then it rained every day for the entire summer....oh well. They'll be nice and full for this year.

This January, my personal goal is to try and increase the frequency of taking my multivitamin.

Now, notice I didn't say I am going to take my multivitamin "every day". That's how you lose the Resolution battle. Cuz let's face it- there are plenty of days I'm thankful I remembered to put on my makeup, or possibly even underwear. When you get up at 4AM, some parts of your brain just do not work. Period.



For Mother Earth, this year I am going to try to decrease the amount of trash I produce.  I read a neat article (on Facebook, of course) about some simple ways to leave a smaller imprint. The first involves taking a set of real silverware to work, then not using plastic there anymore. Should be easy, especially since I pack my lunch 95% of the time. The second thing I did was look in my trash and see what there was a ton of.

Paper plates, paper towels, and grocery bags. Holy Landfill!

So 2016 will have less paper products involved, and I WILL REMEMBER TO TAKE THE 30 REUSABLE BAGS I HAVE TO THE GROCERY STORE WITH ME!! I can't tell you how many times I have walked in the front door of Kroger and...
Image result for i forgot something

Last January, I was facing the fact that my body was going to be forty-years old. One year later, I think 3 half-marathons and 3 triathlons are enough to safely say I gave 40 the finger. I PR'd my 1/2 marathons time, and doubled the distance of triathlon I had completed the year before. I didn't win any awards, and there were plenty of people my age and older who finished before me, but hey- I crossed the finish line each time, and only threw up once after a misguided judgement to drink a post-race beer. Mission complete.

Image result for i didn't throw up

So, this weekend I spent a lot of time looking at all the different races that are out there, and making some decisions about which ones I'm going to tackle. I've done a lot of soul searching, trying to figure out what distance to train for, and how many times I will stand at a start line. After much deliberation, I have decided to once again do three 1/2 marathons and an Olympic distance triathlon as my "A" priority race. I felt like I left a lot on the course last year, and want to come away from this distance feeling more confident before tackling something bigger. That being said, I am going to train as though I was doing a 1/2 iron, and will add a fourth race at the end of the season. This one is 1/3 Ironman triathlon, and will hopefully give me the confidence I need to make the commitment towards the big 70.3 in 2017.

Image result for self confidence quotes

Which brings me to my final Resolution for 2016. I would like to help/inspire at least one person to step into the world of endurance sports. This journey has brought me so far, and not just physically. I still have rolls when I sit here at the computer. I still have plenty of padding on my thighs and butt. But I know that I can run for over two hours when I couldn't run for two minutes just a few years ago. I have been able to use what I have learned training for endurance in every aspect of my life- from work, to my financial goals,  to my home life (and yes, ladies and gentleman- the bedroom as well...), When I meet a goal or something I'm not sure I can or want to do, I tackle it with a different attitude than I used to. I have met some amazing and inspiring people along this road, and want to share this with others.
Image result for triathlon quotes
 You do not- I REPEAT YOU DO NOT- have to be in any kind of "shape" to start this. Seriously. I couldn't swim to the end of the pool and back without giving the lifeguard a heart attack, and I didn't own a real swimsuit or swim cap. All you have to do is START. There are great beginner races that are perfect for any size, age, or shape. I am going to write another post today that will be more specific for those of you that are interested in starting, or if you are already an endurance athlete and would like to meet new people and join in on a team spirit. Because this is one "sport" where I am always hoping that you beat me. There is no winner and loser (except for the one race my husband and I compete in together- that one I am totally hoping to kick his ass...).

Image result for im gonna beat you

So come take a look. Bring your family- what better way to show your kids something positive, and they have great kid races too! Don't be afraid if you have never done one or any of the sports. Maybe you just want to start by participating in a relay and do one of the three. That's great! I will help you as much or as little as you want. But a word of warning- you need to start now. Summer seems a long time away when you walk outside into the 30 degree weather, but it will take months for you to get ready for this.

And you CAN get ready for this.
Image result for triathlon quotes

However you choose to bring in 2016, I hope it is with something positive. Learn a new language, or maybe sign language! Plant a tree, or a tomato plant. Talk to one stranger every week somewhere, even if it is a simple "hello". Pay for someone's $5 coffee once. Send someone a real letter or card in the mail- just because. Life and goal setting is not always about stopping or starting something. It's about tri-ing and moving forward.

Happy 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment