Sunday, January 3, 2016

A New Year- Part 2

First of all, I am so excited that you are reading this post!! Even thinking about dipping your toe in the water (literally) can be super-scary, especially if you don't have any more experience than playing Marco Polo during summer break at the community pool.

Image result for marco polo game

But don't worry- I am going to help you!

 The first thing you really need to do is pick a race. Why? Because everything you do from here on out in regards to training will be based off being at your peak performance on the race day that you choose. I am going to describe the two main triathlete circuits in this area, then list all the races that I could find within 2 hours of Dayton, Ohio. I suggest racing within an hour of your house unless you are willing/able to spend the night before in a hotel or someone's home that you know- a two hour drive before a race is just too much time to let your nerves get the best of you....
Image result for nervous

The highlighted races are ones that I am definitely racing in. That being said, I am more than willing to be on a relay team for others, as long as you are ok with not winning- I am a middle-of-the-pack kinda girl in all three areas. But if this is a way to get you more comfortable, I know that myself and others would have your back. I will also come cheer you on, and even race with you in a mini if you feel more comfortable not being alone. I would love for us to have a group at triathlons, and not all of us actually racing- you would be amazed at how awesome it is to just have someone screaming your name when you are coming to the finish line.
Image result for marathon signs

HFP Racing- This triathlon circuit is one of the two main ones I have done in the last three years. They are well organized, faith-based, and family friendly. The atmosphere is great, with everyone giving each other encouragement. Their races are on Sundays, but almost every race has a children's triathlon the Saturday before. What I like best about this group is that the swim is not a mass start. You go out 2-by-2, which extremely decreases the congestion and chances of bumping into someone. They have the perfect mini-triathlon for beginners: 250 meter swim, 7-mile bike, and 2 mile run. They also have duathlons (run-bike-run), relays (team triathlons), aquabike, and even aquathon. You can touch the ground in the water the whole way for the beginner race, and walking is allowed (both swim and run portion). Their main website is www.hfpracing.com.

Zoom Multisport Racing- This circuit is very similar to HFP, with many of the same venues. Their distances are a little non-traditional, making them a great way to start making the leap from one distance to the next. Instead of going straight from a sprint distance to Olympic, I did Zoom's "Intermediate" triathlon first, which is right between the two. This gave me the confidence I needed to take the next step. They are super-supportive of first time triathletes, and the atmosphere is again friendly and inviting. You will see all sorts of athletes at both circuits, and it is a great place to watch and learn. Their beginner distance is a little longer than HFP: 400 meter swim, 10 mile bike, and 2 mile run. They also have duathlons, aquabike, team relays, and aquathons. Their main website is www.zoomracingusa.com. My first year I did the HFP mini race first, then moved to the beginner Zoom race at the beginning of my second year. I was able to complete a Sprint by the end of the second season. 

And now.....time to pick a date!

May 21- New Moon 1/2 marathon. Delaware, Ohio

June 04- Richmond Sprint Triathlon in Richmond, Indiana. Duathlons and relay options as well.

June 05- HFP Deer Creek. Mini, Sprint, and Olympic available. Duathlons, relay options as well.

June 11- USAT Mideast Regionals. This is in Indiana. Sprint and Olympic distance. Duathlon and relay options as well.

June 26- ZOOM Ceasar's Creek. Beginner, Intermediate, Olympic, 1/3 Ironman distances. Duathlons and relay options as well.

July 10- HFP Ceasar's Creek. Mini, Sprint, and Olympic available. Duathlons, relay options as well.

July 10- Mingoman Triathlon. Delaware State Park. Sprint and Olympic distances. Aquabike available. 

July 24- Ross trifit challenge at Ohio State University. Mini, sprint, and Olympic distances. Duathlons available.

July 24- HFP Buckeye Challenge in Springfield Ohio. Mini, Sprint, and Olympic available. Duathlons, relay options as well.

July 30- Summit Lake Triathlon  in Indiana. Sprint distance. Duathlon and relay options. Aquabike available.

July 31- ZOOM Buck Creek in Springfield. Beginner, Intermediate, Olympic, 1/3 Ironman distances. Duathlons and relay options as well.

August 07- HFP Alum Creek in Delaware, Ohio. Mini, Sprint, and Olympic available. Duathlons, relay options as well.

August 14- ZOOM Hueston Woods.Beginner, Intermediate, Olympic, 1/3 Ironman distances. Duathlons and relay options as well.

August 21- Ironman Ohio in Delaware. This race is sold out, but is an "Ironman branded" triathlon. Jim and I are going to hopefully volunteer, and I have a couple of friends racing. These races are where the big boys and girls come to play, and I look forward to openly gaping at their awesomeness.

September 17- Air Force 1/2 and Full Marathon in Dayton, Ohio.

October 08- Queen Bee 1/2 marathon in Cincinnatti, Ohio
Image result for choose wisely

Once you have a date..WRITE IT DOWN. And put it somewhere you can see every day. Here is my race planner- mine has my training blocks built in too. And yes, it has flowers and sparkly letters. Don't judge. It sits on a bulletin board I see every day as I am getting my workout clothes ready for the next day.


Speaking of a plan....you need one. I have had great success with my training book (Your Best Triathlon by Joe Friel), but there are tons of plans on the internet, and even at the library. I used a plan I found on the internet for my first race. THen I went to the library and borrowed the book I eventually bought and use today. My book is pretty detailed, and even gives me advice on weight lifting and nutrition. Let me know if you want some help in this arena- I am happy to help you find something that works for you and your goals! 

I am at the pool every Saturday. I also swim on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I will meet you there if you are nervous about getting in the water, or if you just need someone to push you in :). Even if you don't have a membership, I am happy to bring you as a guest so you can see if this is something you want to pursue. I have found the YMCA's are the cheapest route, but many gyms have great discounts right now. 

Once it gets warmer, we can do group swims in open water- this is the biggest hurdle to jump, and doing it before race day will help you tremendously. We can bike and run as a group if people want to as well, with the knowledge that everyone will have their own pace. Bringing family, volleyball nets, and food to cook out will help the open water swim sessions be more manageable :).

If you have read this far, I am assuming you are at least seriously considering giving this a "tri". If you read this on Facebook, reply with what you are thinking about doing and which date, especially if you are interested in relay. That way we can hopefully fill in the gaps, and show up to support you! If there is more than one person interested, I may start a separate Facebook page. That way everyone can ask questions, encourage each other,  and share their progress with the group without feeling like they are blowing up their Facebook page with stuff most people don't care to see. 
Image result for facebook don't care

So...make the plunge. Challenge yourself. You won't know if you could have done it until...you tri.
Image result for triathlon quotes


No comments:

Post a Comment